|carnatic.com > World Wide Wisdom||< Namaste Netizen. Login | Sign-up | About | Donate >||Search|
|Prefs: Display: title/+ content/+ tags | Sort: Changed/Added/Prio | Tags: All/Strict/Directory/4/5 | Tag sort: Count/Alpha | Hit/pg: 50/100|
No of displayed entries: 50 / 52
1) Firefox: The award-winning, free Web browser is better than ever. Browse the
Web with confidence - Firefox protects you from viruses, spyware and
pop-ups. Enjoy improvements to performance, ease of use and privacy.
3) Public Spyware Removal Guid for AntiSpywareBox
: Newly released AntiSpywareBox from the makers of TitanShield is wide
spread throughout the web infecting machines. AntiSpywareBox is a Fake
spyware remover displaying false security messages trying to get the
user to purchase.
4) SwarShala: SwarShala is a wonderful tool for anyone interested in Indian
classical music, whether beginner or advanced, by providing means of
learning, practicing and composing this style of music. Such a user
will be able to create fully customized practice sessions with the
required instruments, cycles, pitch, tempo, acceleration, etc... and
select them to be played at wish.
9) Getting Started With the NetBeans IDE 5.0 BlueJ Edition: BlueJ is an integrated development environment (IDE) specifically
designed for teaching students object-oriented programming using the
Java programming language. Although BlueJ covers the introductory
phase of learning to program, the NetBeans IDE offers powerful tools
for professional developers. Taking the inevitable step from one into
the other has been a difficult barrier for students -- until now.
10) zenwalk: Zenwalk is a GNU/Linux operating system, designed to provide the
following characteristics :
11) ISO Recorder: ISO Recorder is a tool (power toy) for Windows XP, 2003 and now
Windows Vista, that allows (depending on the Windows version) to burn
CD and DVD images, copy disks, make images of the existing data CDs
and DVDs and create ISO images from a content of a disk folder.
12) Google Browser Sync: Google Browser Sync for Firefox is an extension that continuously
synchronizes your browser settings – including bookmarks, history,
persistent cookies, and saved passwords – across your computers. It
also allows you to restore open tabs and windows across different
machines and browser sessions.
14) notepad2 - Yet another Notepad replacement...: The original Notepad shipped with Windows is probably the handiest
program of all times, small, fast, without frills! Notepad2 tries to
follow this principle, it's a small, fast and free text editor with
syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages.
18) 411 VirusBurst
: Remove Rogue Anti-Spyware VirusBurst.
VirusBurst, a Rogue Anti-Spyware program, installs through a Trojan
onto your PC where it displays, from a system tray icon, an update
notification. The update notification is similar to the Windows update
balloon. Users are then tricked into clicking the message.
The notification balloon will read “System detected virus activities.
They may cause critical system failure. Please, use anti-malware
software to clean and protect your system from parasite programs.
Click this ballon to get all available software.”
22) Lalim VCD Player (Freeware) (Win95,Win98,WinME,Win2000 and WinXP): Lalim VCD Player is a player, designed to play Video CDs. If the Video
CD contains music tracks, you can simply click a button to play the
track that responds to it. You can also set the volume, bass and
treble, view full screen and more. The program is simple and small,
just download and run, no installation required.
24) Pages: Pages is a small site engine, ideal for people seeking to maintain
static web content in a simple, straightforward, and convenient
manner. It lets you manage your web site—whether it’s simple or
sophisticated—without the fuss of complex tools or blog-centric
27) vnunet.com: SAP will back .Net: German software giant SAP AG said it would back both Microsoft's .Net
strategy and rival Sun Microsystems' Java technology, rebutting
reports this week that SAP would give its full backing to the Sun
platform.SAP North American spokesperson Bill Wohl said a lot of
interest had been created by the inaccurate and incomplete newspaper
story. "We've spent the last 24 hours trying to balance it."
According to Wohl, the UK's Financial Times got the story wrong; they
relied on the wrong sources.
28) SAP Chooses Sun Micro Platform Over Microsoft : SAP, Europe's biggest software group, has decided not to use
Microsoft's .Net software platform and is instead backing a competing
offering from Sun Microsystems. Hasso Plattner, SAP chief executive,
will announce next week that the German group is to adopt Sun's J2EE
architecture, a development platform for enterprise software based on
the Java programming language, to run SAP software. SAP's move is
likely to be a blow to Microsoft, as the German group has one of the
largest customer bases of any business software developer.
30) Microsoft shows off research goodies - Tech News - CNET.com: Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on Wednesday demonstrated technologies
for transcribing spoken Chinese, making handheld computers aware of
when they're being touched and moved, and adding emotion to computer
slide shows. At an event recognizing the 10th anniversary of
Microsoft Research, Gates indulged his fondness for technology,
raising hopes for a world where computers will become more
useful. "The message you'll get is one of incredible optimism," he
said as he described Microsoft's vision for its research labs.
31) EcoCap: A message must have a clear title; any cc must be accompanied by a note explaining why the recipient is being cc'd and whether any action is expected; if the e-mailer expects a response he's supposed to give a deadline; and so on. The idea is to have the top executives at the firm use an EcoCap-altered version of Microsoft Outlook and let other employees adopt it only if they want to. They may not; the software lets the firm track e-mail behavior in excruciating detail
32) Advenio Software - Mac OS X Development: Jim : Advenio Software: SQLGrinder
(http://www.advenio.com/sqlgrinder/index.html) -- "Query. Browse. Be
"Advenio SQLGrinder is a native Mac OS X SQL editor and developer
tool that makes your database development easier."
I find development is easier when I don't have to write SQL at all.
And no, that doesn't mean I use a GUI database editor/browser
alongside my ASP/JSP/CFM/PHP code instead, it means I use something
that writes the SQL for me. And no, that doesn't mean it puts the
SQL into my source files for me, it means there is no SQL code in my
source code, anywhere.
35) One Answer on College Doesn\'t Fit All Graduates: Eidi Leonard is a career and college counselor in Newport Beach, Calif., where most parents are college-educated professionals. Recently, Ms. Leonard advised a high school student with poor grades but a passion for automobiles, finding him an internship at an elite racing car company.
She thought it could lead to a well- paid career. But the boy's parents were incensed, insisting that he go to college. Ms. Leonard suspects he will soon drop out and take less desirable work than the internship he rejected.
This kind of thing is happening all over the country because of an
illusion that college is for everyone and that a high-tech future
requires as many college graduates as possible. Yet the Department of
Labor expects only about a fourth of future jobs to require college
The company, Pizza Station, is dishing out an offer which promises to whet the appetite of all pizza lovers and then some: "Buy a pizza and get free wireless broadband".
"We think it's a tremendous value proposition... I think we will sell a lot of pizza," said its director of systems and finance Nicholas Iverson.
firstname.lastname@example.org, Prague CZ * tel/mobil +420 (0)603 706 558 "success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get" http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html
38) ZDNet: Enterprise: Microsoft: Big plans for Great Plains: Microsoft to rewrite Great Plains' apps in two years in C#. It's a
familiar scenario: Microsoft Corp. settles into an inauspicious
market toehold as competitors pay no heed – only to wake a few years
later to find themselves obscured by the company's long shadow. It
happened with Windows and Office. Now, the plan is to make it happen
with Great Plains Software Inc.'s business applications. The software
became part of Microsoft's portfolio when it acquired Great Plains
this year. "All the business software in the world will be
replaced," said Microsoft VP David Vaskevitch, the mastermind
behind the acquisition. "It will be a 10-, 15-, even a 20-year
process. You can rewrite SAP [AG], but it will be 10 times easier to
rewrite Great Plains."
40) The Register: DesktopX - killer eye candy or the great Windows desktop liberator?: Jim : I've been a Stardock customer since, oh, 1995? Day 1, anyway.
I bought their first product and probably the majority of the
products they've ever released. Object Desktop (ControlCenter in
particular) totally rocks. It's been on every PC desktop (OS/2 or
Windows) I've used (home and work) regularly since I first saw it.
41) ArsDigita Systems Journal: Managing Software Engineers: ...Insane hours by themselvs don't guarantee success of course. You
need to be
solving a problem that someone cares about. You need to have
evaluate themselves by how well their work fits customer needs (the
your engineers pat themselves on the back for how good their code
internally is the day that your company dies; you need engineers who
themselves on the back when a customer is happy with the product and
42) Joel on Software - Good Software Takes Ten Years. Get Used To It.: "Now the trouble comes when you can't think of any new features, so you put in the paperclip, and then you take out the paperclip, and you try to charge people both times, and they aren't falling for it."
I have to read it carefully before I agree or partially agree or ...
43) NewsBruiser: NewsBruiser is a simple but full-featured weblog management system.
It is almost entirely self-contained, requiring nothing but SSI and
Python (1.5.6 or greater) to be happy.
44) Tennis Stars Agassi, Graf Expecting: Jim : 'Can you imagine the tennis player this kid could be? What a
genepool to draw from. Congrats to them! I wish I knew where their
house was in SF, at $23M it must be amazing!'
45) RASIKA - Software for Carnatic Music: Rasika is like a book on Carnatic Music, which also sings to you. Enhance your
appreciation of Carnatic Music with Rasika which runs under Windows
3.1/95/98/Me/2000/XP and produces synthetic music in Veena and Flute tones
with all the nuances (gamakams) required for Carnatic Music.
47) Salon.com Technology | Microsoft to schools: Give us your lunch money!: The software giant is cracking down on piracy in the public
education system. But the campaign could easily backfire.
48) Patterns: Non-Software Examples of Software Design Patterns - AGCS: Software design patterns have roots in the architectural
patterns of Christopher Alexander, and in the object
movement. According to Alexander, patterns repeat
themselves, since they are a generic solution to a given
system of forces. The object movement looks to the
real world for insights into modeling software
relationships. With these dual roots, it seems
reasonable that software design patterns should be
repeated in real world objects. This paper presents a
real world, non software instance of each design
pattern from the book, Design Patterns - Elements of
Reusable Object-Oriented Software . The paper
also discusses the implications of non-software
examples on the communicative power of a pattern
language, and on design pattern training.