[ carnatic.com ]
I once gave a reading to a gathering of university students in
Delhi and when I'd finished a young woman put up her hand.
'Mr Rushdie, I read through your novel, Midnight's
Children,' she said. 'It is a very long book, but never mind, I
read it through. And the question I want to ask you is this:
fundamentally, what's your point?'
Before I could attempt an answer, she spoke again, 'Oh, I
know what you're going to say. You're going to say the
whole effort - from cover to cover - that is the point of the
exercise. Isn't that what you were going to say?'.
'Something like that, perhaps...' I got out.
She snorted. 'It won't do.'
'Please,' I begged, 'do I have to have just one point?'
'Fundamentally,' She said, with impressive firmness, 'Yes'.
-- The Vintage Book of Indian Writing 1947 - 1997 ---
-- Edited by Salman Rushdie and Elizabeth West
Why maintain this website
- In October 1997, I could not find any website with carnatic music information (ofcourse there were lot of pages) -->
so i registered "carnatic.com" with a primary goal of providing links to all carnatic music pages on the web.
But, today (1999 oct 25), search for carnatic in DomainSurfer and you will see 11 records.
- The main person I'm maintaining this site for is: me! and us (since march 23 1999)
- Memory triggers - There are lots of bits of my past that I vaguely recall but don't remember as well as I would like to. I find that the smallest
memory of a person or event from my past can trigger a whole chain of related memories. And the more details I write down
now, the better my chances will be of being able to trigger related memories in the future --
- Family, Friends, Colleagues, Strangers - This site isn't just here for me -- family, friends, and colleagues can visit it to see photos(coming soon!)
of trips we've taken together, or just to
see what I've been up to lately. It can also give them insight into what kind of person I am -- everyone I know should be able to
learn at least a few things about me by visiting my site.
- "All people should give some time, more people should give more time and some people should give all the time". - Rajaji
- read my earlier about
Monday, October 25, 1999
Monday, October 25, 1999 2:43:40 PM
Valid HTML 4.0!